Just two weeks ago our lives changed.
With Tony’s chemo treatments underway, we knew that the timing would likely be difficult regardless of when our baby came. And so it was on Thursday, July 10– after Tony received chemo that morning and I went in for an OB appointment that afternoon– that I started having contractions.
The contractions started at 10 o’clock that night. At this point we had to make a decision: go to sleep, or go to the hospital? Tony was so tired from the chemo that I told him to go to sleep and I’d wake him if we needed to go to the hospital. The contractions continued, so we left and made it to the hospital at 12:30. In triage, I was so nervous I’d be told that this was false labor, and I dragged my husband out of bed for no reason. Instead, I was told that I was 5 – 6 cm dilated and we were about to have a baby!
I continued to labor, while Tony tried to get some sleep. Around 2am I felt some nausea coming on, so I got some Zofran and a bedpan. Tony found himself in a similar state as his chemo was kicking in, so he took a dose of Compazine and the other bedpan.
I pushed for an hour with very little result. The OB thought maybe the baby’s head was stuck behind my pelvic bone. I had a friend since offer that maybe this lodgement is what kept the baby inside for so long while I was on bed rest. I like to believe that this is true, because pushing for over an hour with no epidural is very strenuous, and not something I prepared for. Fortunately it just took another half hour of pushing, and then suddenly she was here.